Compressed Air Energy Storage
We are your compressed air energy storage solution provider
Siemens CAES is a comprehensive, proven, grid-scale energy storage solution. We support projects from conceptual design through commercial operation and beyond. Our CAES solution includes all the associated above ground systems, plant engineering, procurement, construction, installation, start-up services and long term service support.
What makes Siemens CAES the preferred choice?Siemens CAES improves utilization of renewable energy resources by absorbing GW-hours of energy that would otherwise be curtailed and provides grid balancing and reserve services with lower fuel usage and carbon footprint than other controllable resources.
Proven components packaged for a new market
- Responds quickly - Designed to be started and brought to full load in less than 10 minutes, eliminating the need for intermediate-load plants and providing a cost-effective way to meet spinning reserve requirements.
- CAES generation also has excellent load-following capability and exceptional part-load efficiency.
- Full compression can be available in less than five minutes to quickly absorb load rather than reducing your base load generation.
- Flexible cycling options - The CAES plant allows for independent operation of the compression and expansion systems, allowing for simultaneous load absorption and balancing.
- Generation efficiency - Relatively flat heat rate across all operating ranges, thus overall generation efficiency is near the same at 10 percent as it is at 100 percent.
- Days of storage - The intermittency of renewables coupled with unpredictable weather patterns means the reality of long periods where balancing is paramount to absorbing renewables.
CAES is the ideal solution for energy and ancillary services including:
- Load leveling / balancing
- Ramping regulation
- Frequency oscillation
- Transmission optimization
- VAR support