Compressed Air Energy Storage
We are your compressed air energy storage solution provider
Siemens Energy CAES is a comprehensive, proven, grid-scale energy storage solution. We support projects from conceptual design through commercial operation and beyond. Our CAES solution includes all the associated above ground systems, plant engineering, procurement, construction, installation, start-up services and long term service support.
What makes Siemens Energy CAES the preferred choice?Siemens Energy CAES improves utilization of renewable energy resources by absorbing GW-hours of energy that would otherwise be curtailed and provides grid balancing and reserve services with lower fuel usage and carbon footprint than other controllable resources.
A proven solution for cost-effective, grid-scale, and long-duration power storage
As renewable power generation from wind and solar grows in its contribution to the world’s energy mix, utilities will need to balance the generation variability of these sustainable resources with demandfluctuations. This paper describes how power-generation operators can use compressed air energy storage (CAES) technology for a reliable, cost-effective, and long-duration energy storage solution at grid scale. Further, it explains how CAES can provide a path to deep grid decarbonization via hydrogen as fuel.
Adiabatic CAES cycle with thermal storage
- Electricity, preferable from renewable sources, is used for the air compression, which heats the air in the same time.
- The compressed air is stored in existing caverns, e.g. in emptied salt caverns, mines, re-used gas pipes, etc. Worldwide many of these storage options exist.
- Via the thermal storage and heat exchanger the decharge cycle is activated. An expander (turbine) driven generator converts this cycle back in electricity.
CAES is the ideal solution for energy and ancillary services including:
- Load leveling / balancing
- Ramping regulation
- Frequency oscillation
- Transmission optimization
- VAR support