Green hydrogen (H2) is a versatile energy carrier that can be applied to decarbonize a wide range of sectors. It can be used directly or in the form of its derivatives like e-methanol, e-ammonia, or e-fuels to replace fossil fuels, coal or gas.
Only around 40% of global carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions originate from power generation which can be decarbonized via electrification. The other 60% of CO2 emissions originate from industry, mobility, buildings and others. These can be decarbonized via sector coupling, using green hydrogen and its derivatives to make renewable energy available to those sectors. This is why the production of sustainable hydrogen is such a crucial issue.
Carbon emission targets in the European Union and other industrialized countries will require massive scaling-up and acceleration of renewable hydrogen production and imports – already 20 million tons will be needed in Europe by 2030 to fast forward the energy transition and decarbonization.
That’s why we have joined forces with Air Liquide to create a joint venture dedicated to the series production of industrial-scale renewable hydrogen electrolyzers. In 2023, production of electrolysis stacks will begin at our multi-gigawatt electrolyzer facility in Berlin and ramp up to an annual production capacity of three gigawatts by 2025.
The factory will supply stacks to Siemens Energy and Air Liquide for our broad range of customers and serve the rapidly growing market.
Download Siemens Energy's technical papers and benefit from our expertise.
Do you have any questions? This is your direct line to Siemens Energy Silyzer Team! No matter in which country you are located, we are here to support you. Please use the contact form below to raise your question.